Look Who’s Coming to Convention 2023
We’ve got big-name speakers sharing bold ideas as well as trusted colleagues offering practice-specific updates with take-home tips to use right away. What a great way to earn a minimum of 6.5 hours of CLE credit.
- Sari De La Motte The Attorney Whisperer will teach you to master the skills and adopt the mindset you need to crush it at trial and have fun in the process. De la Motte believes you’re working too hard, and she’s going to show you that you’ve already got what it takes to win for your clients. Read up on her and prepare to be enlightened on how to specialize in winning.
- Nita A. Farahany The Duke Professor of Law & Philoshophy issues a wake-up call in her new book, “The Battle For Your Brain.” A leading a leading scholar on the ethical, legal, and social implications of emerging technologies, Farahany worries about all the ways our brains can be hacked and tracked. Her presentation will focus on the intersection of Artificial Intelligence and the legal profession. Prepare to be blown away with actual demonstrations on Harvey AI and see how this new frontier of technology can be harnessed for a tectonic shift in how we do what we do. Each attendee will receive a copy of Farahany’s new book.
- Criminal Law Update with Tucker Charns. Chief Regional Defender for the North Carolina Office of Indigent Defense Services, Charns will bring us up to date on the latest cases that you need to know about as you continue the daily fight for your client’s rights.
- DWI Update with Jake Minnick. The NC DWI Guy, Minnick has his finger on the pulse of what is happening in North Carolina when it comes to defending DWI cases and how trial lawyers can still win despite the difficult landscape we face in the trenches each and every day. Minnick will review the important criminal and DMV cases from the past year and forecast market trends coming down the pike for DWI practitioners.
- Poking Holes in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing with Anthony Palacios. A DRE/SFST expert from Alpharetta, Georgia, Palacios recently helped David Teddy obtain dismissals in three DWI cases by helping him successfully attack the officer’s failure to properly administer the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus Test (HGN). He’ll share his secrets.
- Digital Forensic Evidence with Micah Sturgis, a digital forensic expert, offers a deep dive into the hidden information contained in smartphones and other digital devices. This is information that can sometimes make or break your case. Sturgis recently testified for the defense in the Alex Murdaugh case and he is primed with critical information that you need to hear as you wage battle against the government.
- Eminent Domain Update with Thomas L. Odom Jr. Odom will go through North Carolina eminent domain cases from June 2022 to present and explore their holdings and any changes or modifications to the existing law and discuss how they can be used every day to protect landowners using the North Carolina and United States Constitutions.
- Civil Law Update with Sam McGee and Jon Moore. This year’s Civil Update will consist of cutting-edge analysis, mind-blowing comedy and life-changing legal insights. So, come get your CLE: Criticism, Laughter, Elixirs.
- Insurance is Boring – But Money Isn’t! with Doug Maynard. Maynard will cover the key insurance law cases, both state and federal, pointing out the cases to look out for in the future which can affect your clients’ recoveries. Plus, he’ll discuss apparent trends.