How do I apply for Social Security Disability?

September 28, 2015   |   Frederick W. Fleming

The Social Security Administration (SSA) offers many different ways to file your application:

  • You may file an online application by visiting
  • You may go into your local SSA Field Office and apply in-person.
  • You may call 1-800-772-1213 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and apply by telephone.

Whichever method you choose, it‘s important to have the following information at hand as it will make completing your application much easier:

Information about you:

  • Your full legal name (as it appears on your Social Security card)
  • Your Social Security number
  • Your date of birth and place of birth
  • The name, Social Security number, and date of birth or age of your current spouse and any former spouse(s) as well as the dates and places of marriage and/or dates of divorce
  • Names, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth of your minor children
  • Your bank account number and routing information (for direct deposit of benefits)
  • The name and contact information of a reliable person who knows about your medical condition(s) and can answer questions about your health and functioning

Information about your medical condition:

  • Detailed information about your medical impairment(s), injuries, or conditions (exact names of medical conditions, treatments and impairments, complicating factors, etc.)
  • Contact information about your medical providers, and dates you saw them
  • The names and dosages of the medications you are currently taking
  • Information about any medical tests you have had, such as where you had them done and which doctor ordered them

Information about your jobs:

  • A list of all the jobs that you have had in the 15 years before you became unable to work, the dates you worked at those jobs, and the amount of money you earned per hour/pay period/year in each job
  • Information about any workers’ compensation claims, black lung claims, short/long-term disability claims, VA service connected disability claims, or any other benefit claims that you have filed or intend to file

Documents you may need to provide:

  • Original or certified copy of your birth certificate
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence
  • S. military discharge papers
  • W-2 forms or self-employment tax returns for the most recent 1 to 2 years
  • Marriage certificates and/or divorce decrees

Blog author Frederick W. Fleming is a North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in Social Security Disability. He practices at the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin, which has offices throughout the state of North Carolina, focusing on Personal Injury, Workers’ Compensation, Social Security Disability, Products Liability, and Eminent Domain claims. For more information, visit: