Advocacy Frequently Asked Questions


Advocacy FAQs

When is the General Assembly in session? +

The “Long Session” starts in early January of odd-numbered years and lasts until the legislators decide they’ve done enough damage, typically July. The “Short Session” starts in May of even-numbered years and also has no set end date, but July is a typical end point.

What does the term “crossover” mean? +

A bill that has “crossovered” has passed either the House or the Senate. The legislative rules say that most bills that have not “crossovered” (ie passed the House or Senate) by a certain date are dead and no longer eligible for consideration either in whatever remains of the Long Session or next year’s Short Session. There are important exceptions to this rule. Bills that deal with spending money or taxes/fees are not subject to crossover. Bills amending the NC constitution, redistricting, or ones that originate from certain committees (Rules, Appropriations, and Finance) are not subject to crossover. Additionally, sometimes legislators take bills that have made crossover, remove the original contents of the bill, and add new content that otherwise would not be eligible for consideration.

How can I help? +

Contact Chris Nichols, NCAJ Government Affairs Consultant, with questions about how to get more involved with legislative activities.

Legal Affairs FAQs

What is Legal Affairs? +

Legal Affairs includes NCAJ’s amicus program, our moot court program for NCAJ members with an upcoming appellate argument and general appellate assistance.

How does NCAJ decide whether to do an amicus brief in a case? +

The NCAJ Legal Affairs Vice President, in conjunction with the Legal Affairs Committee, reviews all requests and determines NCAJ participation. The Legal Affairs Committee consists of volunteers from all practice areas and sections. Committee members also help with moot courts and other appellate assistance.


What is the PAC? +

The PAC is a political action committee that receives contributions from individuals to support candidates running for state legislative and Council of State races.

Who decides where the PAC money goes? +

The PAC is governed by a Board of Trustees. Some serve by virtue of their elected NCAJ position and some are chosen by the NCAJ Board of Governors or the PAC Trustees.